On April 9, 2013, the NC Department of Health and Human Services issued a fish consumption advisory for Lake Norman. Due to elevated levels of polychlorinated biphenyls (PCB’s) you should not consume Stripped Bass and Large Mouth Bass. This is the first fish consumption warning for the 32,475 acres lake that was filled in 1963. PCB’s have beenused as insulators for electrical transformers, lubricants and electric motors. PCB’s are an environmental toxin that can cause neurological damage, reproductions, immune disorders and cancer.
Biphenyl compounds have been the chemical curse of the environment. They also include diethylstilbesterol (DES), Bisphenol A (BPA), and DDT. These chemicals do not readily break down, are fat-soluble, and readily penetrate the skin. This means they can be stored in the fat of animals with an end storage point in humans. Such a hand-me-down poison can be an underlying toxic load and a contributor for disease. Theoretically, the larger and older fish will accumulate higher levels of toxins as they consume other contaminated fish.
The following are the chemical structures of these toxins, included only to demonstrate their structural similarity.
It is not known why the Lake Norman fish have such elevated levels since there is no known contamination in the area. They are made by electrically chlorinating a bisphenyl. The most likely explanation could be related to the number of hydroelectric facilities or unauthorized dumping on the Catawba River.
At one time I was highly allergic to poison ivy as a child and adult. I had mentioned this to Dr. Jack Hinze, a mentor and friend. Questions led back to the DDT fogged in the summer streets. He suggested homeopathic Addazen by Natural Creations along with herbal liver (Hepata Comp) and kidney (Kidney Comp) support as a possible detox. I took his suggestion and, much to my surprise, my allergy to poison ivy decreased dramatically. In theory, since homeopathy is based in “likes cures likes”, this product may be helpful in other biphenols.